1. Contact your mortgage servicer
- This is the company that you make your monthly mortgage payments
- Notify them of your condition and whereabouts for future correspondence
2. Call your insurance company
- Find out your benefits as many hazard policies cover alternative living expenses such
as temporary housing and meals
3. Register for FEMA Disaster Assistance (even if you’re insured)
- Waiting to file will cause you to miss the deadline
- Small Business Administration (SBA)loan application required
- Visit disasterassistance.gov or call 800-621-3362
4. Document the damage and secure the property once you can safely return
- Insurers will want to see documentation through many photo
- Keep all receipts for purchases after the storm 5. Be alert for post-disaster scams
- Watch out for phony contractors or fake offers from state/federal aid
- Suspicions of scams and fraud can be reported to FEMA at 866-720-5721
If you don’t have flood insurance, we can help.
We offer mortgage programs designed specifically to help homeowners impacted by natural disasters like Hurricane Harvey, including options that don’t require a down payment.
To get started, find out how much you qualify for through an SBA Loan.